One of the key benefits of using a synthetic shaving brush is that it requires minimal care to keep it in the best condition. Learning how to clean a synthetic brush is quick, simple and easy to incorporate into your daily grooming routine.
Why should I clean my shaving brush?
Synthetic shaving brushes are particularly resistant to issues caused by shaving soap residue or mildew. That said, a minimal amount of regular maintenance will prolong the life of your brush and prevent any build-up of residue, dirt or bacteria.
How to clean a synthetic shaving brush on a daily basis
To keep your Kent shaving brush in optimal condition, follow these steps after each shave:
- Thoroughly rinse your shaving brush in clean, lukewarm water to wash away any shaving cream or soap residue.
- Drain any excess water from the brush by gently squeezing the fibres.
- Allow your shaving brush to air-dry in a well-ventilated area.
- Your brush is best stored hanging upright and bristle down, away from direct heat and sunlight.
We recommend using a shaving brush stand to store your synthetic brush - it’s the best way to allow it to dry naturally, drawing any moisture to the tips of the bristles, rather than into the knot of the brush.
How to deep clean your synthetic shaving brush
Over time, you may find that even after daily rinses your brush has a build-up of soap residue. This can effect how well the brush retains water or lathers effectively. To prevent this all that’s needed is a 10-minute deep clean.
- Rinse your shaving brush under lukewarm water to ensure it is fully soaked.
- Gently clean the brush in your hand with a drop of washing-up liquid.
- Allow your shaving brush to soak in a glass of clean water for a few minutes then rinse thoroughly under a running tap.
- Leave your shaving brush to soak once more for a few minutes, in equal parts of vinegar and water.
- Thoroughly rinse again in running water and if necessary, repeat steps 2-3 to remove any vinegar.
- One last rinse in clean water and then leave your brush in its stand to air dry thoroughly.
Cleaning your shaving brush regularly will keep your brush in good condition for many years. Now you know how to clean your synthetic shaving brush, you can make it part of your daily shaving routine.